Thursday 29 March 2012

GREEN GODDESS - Spring's alternative LBD


Inspired by Spring and nostalgic about real Summer days, I went on a treasure hunt to find green things. A scarf, a clutch-bag, but particularly a dress. Green has more mystique than the LBD. Its magic reminds us of mythical creatures like fairies and nymphs. This is a cautionary tale about a beautiful green dress.

A few years ago I had an olive halterneck dress. We rarely parted company. Like a steady boyfriend it accompanied me to exhibition openings, poetry slams, barbecues. Only my jeans have boasted that level of versatilityWe all have that one item that makes us feel comfortable, vivacious and is effortlessly appropriate for any occasion. This was such an item.

One day it ended up in the charity bag. I had gotten more than my pound-per-wear out of it. It was time to move on. The end of an era. Yet it was a decision that filled me with immediate regret.



"The Woman in Green."



Two weeks ago I went hunting for a similar dress. I tried every vintage shop. Then the high street. De Nada. The moment you decide to seek out an item that specific, you will find nothing matching your criteria. Its a law of the retail universe.

Disheartened, I popped into my favourite charity shop to console myself with a book and there it was. The original dress, brand new with the tag on it. In my size. In better condition than my first one. Oh and it was £4. Call it a fluke but I call it synchronicity. A call to return to that woman I'd lost contact with. A great visual reminder of that woman in green.

Oh and one last word about culling your wardrobe. Tread carefully. Make sure that the discarded item is definitely surplus to requirement. You might not be so lucky to find it again.

3 comments:

  1. Green is a colour I would love to wear more off. I tried to dye my most recent acquisition green using Dylon. Some blood, sweat and tears later and a lot of rinsing I got khaki!! It still looks nice but I was a tad gutted!
    I do know what you mean about an outfit symbolising an era of your life. I've a red dress I've not worn since 2003. I last wore it in the Maldives, it was made for me by the island tailor. I will never throw that frock away. Ever. Even if I don't wear it again. It's a tangible reminder that the era of my life was real: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yasmin, Khaki is one of my favourite greens, so toss it to me ;) Seriously i'm sure it looks great on you. As artists we need visual reminders of ourselves in whatever form. The fact you haven't worn your red dress for nearly a decade is less proof that you don't need it and more proof that you need another holiday to wear it on. Tehehe. btw not sure if this is blog etiquette but voted for your entry in the Flash Fiction comp. I liked its positivity. But i'm a sucker for a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you! Thank you for voting : ) I just spotted now that Ronke added you to the group. I hope you'll make yourself at home and share yourself.

      Oh I'm still fond of the khaki frock, it has cool sleeves that hook over your thumbs which is a nice design feature ; ) x

      Delete