Sunday 8 January 2012

BYE RESOLUTION - Let them eat cake


A friend of mine recently asked me what my New Year's resolutions were. She seemed perplexed that I don't believe in them. I'm not so sure that the season of excess should be directly followed by guilt and remorse. We're not quite there yet.

A period of abstinence seems a cruel way to end the good will season. Besides we are still very much in the bleak mid-winter. Deep in the season of hibernation. Hardly a time to embark on fad diets and gruelling regimes. Why fight nature? I've always found Spring a more appropriate season for new beginnings. With a good 10-12 weeks of chilliness to go, I'm calling an amnesty on resolutions. Here are my indulgent alternatives.



"A few of my favourite things."



Opulence
Heavy, luxurious fabrics like cashmere, in rich, dark hues.

Ballet 
Like a Victorian Christmas, what could be more enchanting? The Nutcracker and The Snow Queen are fabulous but Swan Lake is the one. I recently saw it Performed by the Russian Ballet at Manchester's Bridgewater Hall. 

Scrumptiousness
I'm putting dessert back on the menu, in the form of Red Hot's Lime and Cranberry bread and butter pudding. Warming, creamy, and incredibly moreish.

Cinematic Magic
The Chronicles of Narnia, The Golden Compass and Twilight. Yes, I said it. Twilight, twilight, twilight! I'll explain the phenomenon next post.

Culling 
The humane variety. The closest I get to detoxing is de-cluttering my wardrobe and giving a big box of clothes to charity. My weapons of choice are a glass of shiraz and disco tunes. What can I say? Its a  cathartic process and one man's trash etc.

As promised, next post, the delectable Mr Cullen.

3 comments:

  1. What an excellent idea, wait till Spring to kick off your New Year resolutions. The weather is always gloomy and depressing at the start of the year anyway and we are normally all bloated or too skint to splurge to indulge in anything too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too right. People are always so regimented and hard on themselves, instead of just accepting the natural process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I can hibernate for the next 10-12 weeks??? ... Excellent! Me Likey! ;)
    ... and to think I was going to go for a late night run too! *gasps*

    ReplyDelete